Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lead Junky 'R' Us - Why You Should Try To Avoid Cold Prospecting, Calling, And "Leadless" Sales Work. Period.

G'day Friend,

Recently, I offered to work for a sales company. I figured, "Heck, why not? I like to become familiar with a company's strategies and 'what's going on.'"

So I sent them an e-mail with the best time to contact me and two questions.
Now, I like to think my questions were very reasonable. Here they are:

"How Much Is The Commission Worth? How Qualified Are The Leads?"

ANY and EVERY sales person should ask these questions. Without exception. Ever.
Why? One, you need to determine whether the cold prospecting you may do is worth it. For example: I think cold prospecting for less than $300 is ridiculous. You could find a thousand different ways to fill that void twice as effectively.

With your leads, you should see if they really are leads. Not just names that fit the criteria. If you're going out to deal with someone, they should WANT to deal with you.

If you have under-qualified leads for little commission, I suggest you quit. Your own skills are not in decline - the company is just robbing you of time and money.

Which brings me to the company in question: the response I received was outrageous. Enough so to spur my into writing this entry.

"If you are a lead junky, you're in the wrong spot."

WHAT! If I read that correctly, the man is saying to me, "If you like to waste as little time as possible, only speak with super qualified leads, and make huge sales by dealing only with those who want to deal with you, you're in the wrong spot. This isn't about efficiency."

Now, let me add this: I do understand prospecting. It's fine to do if you have no cash to finance anything else. Hel, getting out there and knockin' on some doors is SOMETHING.

And if he had just said, "Well, not TOO qualified, but the commission is fairly large. That would compensate the time." It might have been more agreeable.

Look, let me tell you something: sales is about wasting as little time as possible and making the most from it.

As Gary Halbert put it: "Maximum Money In Minimum Time." I don't want to speak with 1,000 people who are not interested and waste all that time. These are people who have to be sold. They don't already see the benefit of associating with you.

Anyway, thought I would give my two-cents. Expect another post in the near future, folks, about creating a unique "purpose" for your business.

Over and Out,

Angel Suarez

No comments:

Post a Comment