Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Oh The Times They Are A' Changin..." Except one thing...

Howdy,

This morning - in an act comparable for most men to reading Playboy - I was reviewing my copy of The Robert Collier Letter Book.

Robert Collier - one of the greatest direct mail wizards of all time - wrote his book about 100 years ago. 1910, if I'm correct.

And something immediately struck me.

It was something I already KNOW. I've told people about it.
I've preached it.

But it still caught me off guard.

The fact is that - despite society 'changing,' despite the social norms 'changing,' despite the fact a CENTURY has passed since Collier did his work... one thing has not changed.

Human. Nature.

Let me be clear: the expression of desire changes. The receptiveness to certain words changes. Even emotional interpretations change.

But it's only a surface change - purely a matter of time and circumstance.

The underlying principle hasn't eroded in the slightest with time.

People still respond to urgency. They might be more callouse to it because of saturation, but they respond to it. The desire to 'get it before it's gone' is ever present.

Fear still motivates. Greed. Love. Hate.

Human nature.

People dressed differently in the 1950's. We know this.

But it's only because SOCIETY has changed how it views the way you dress (and not even that much, truth be told).

Perhaps I haven't done the best job of describing my point here. But that's only because we're trying to explain a rather simple idea: as a whole, humanity is fundamentally the same.

We want to be wealthy.

We want to be healthy.

We want to be considered or viewed as wise.

We want to be great parents.

We want to be respected.

We want to be loved.

We want to be looked up to.

We want to be appreciated.

We want to be understood.

We want to be happy.

Do you see?

These things haven't changed!

And a hundred years from now, they will still be the same.

Anyway, hope you had a great holiday (though I'm a bit late on the well-wishing).

Over and Out,

Angel 'Skinner' Suarez

No comments:

Post a Comment